In 2010 Verdickt & Verdickt architects bought the buildings adjacent to their present offices to house their new branch. The site was of an old sugar warehouse or ‘Comptoir Sucrier’ that was founded in 1908 and in use until the end of 2010. The original ensemble consisted of an architecturally valuable front building consisting of four noble houses in the neoclassical style dating from the late 19th century, and the former offices of the sugar warehouse. It is a stately group with a passageway through to the inner area and the actual warehouse at the back.
Over the years this inner area had been filled with buildings. The warehouse at the back adjoined our present offices. The buildings that filled the existing space between had not been put up in accordance with any overall plan. These volumes were demolished and the original volumetry was thereby restored. The central green open space thus created is a shared area. The circulation to the lofts in the warehouse at the back, the offices, the yards and gardens and the shared bicycle shed and garden amenities all passes through this space.